Here we go again! A racist walks into a Sikh temple and starts shooting people with a semiautomatic weapon. The guy plays in a white supremacist rock band, has been followed by the Southern Poverty Law Center for years, and, yet, legally obtains the firearm. I won’t dispute the American right to own it. I will dispute this particular guys right to do so. That is insane.
What bothers me more than a whacko with a legally obtained weapon, is the people he chose to shoot. Of all the religions in the world, WHY the hell would ANYONE want to kill a Sikh??? Aside from, perhaps, Jains, who won’t even step on an ant and who try not to take the innocent life of a bacterium, there are not more peace-loving people than Sikhs. I mean…. REALLY! Consider this:
- Sikhs believe in one God and that God is the same for people of all religions.
- Sikhs honor the equality of all people – people of different races, religions, or sexes are all equal in the eyes of God and all people have the right to follow their own path to God without condemnation or coercion.
- Sikhism teaches the full equality of men and women.
- Sikhism emphasizes daily devotion to God.
- Sikhs believe that honest work, the householder’s life, and good employment are virtues.
- Sikhism emphasizes a life of moral responsibility and righteousness – that the primary task in life should be to help the poor and oppressed. They have a centuries long history of speaking out against injustice.
- Sikhism rejects all forms of rituals such as idol worship, pilgrimages, fasting, and superstitions.
- Sikhs strive to be saints and scholars.
Even if you don’t believe in God at all, even if you don’t see the primacy of caring for others the way they do, even if you have a completely different moral compass; why, of all people, would anyone shoot a Sikh!
Oh wait!!! Maybe the son-of-a-bitch made a mistake! Maybe he accidentally confused Sikhs with Muslims because they wear turbans and have beards. Sorry…. I don’t feel any better now: Islamophobia is hardly a more virtuous mindset. Besides, that would only make my view of this guy worse because he is not only a nut but is stupid as well.
I could make 1000 points from this incident. But the one I want to leave you with is this: Sikhism is a path of peace, compassion, justice, inclusiveness, and brotherhood. Today I mourn the loss of some beautiful people who have perished, once more, at the hands of an evil, idiotic, white supremacist madman. It brings with it a deep sadness. What makes me as sad as the loss of life is the weakness I see in my own compassion. I’m glad the police killed the bastard and I commend them.